Quinnipiac Women’s Tennis Falls to No. 11 Stanford in NCAA First Round, 4-0
- Quinnipiac Women's Tennis Postseason Media Guide
- 2014 NCAA Championship Homepage
- 2014 NCAA Tournament Bracket
- Follow QU Women's Tennis on Twitter - @QUAthletics | @QUWTennis
STANFORD, CALIF. – The Quinnipiac University women's tennis team saw its season come to a close on Friday afternoon, as the Bobcats were defeated by defending champion and nationally-ranked No. 11 Stanford University in the opening round of the 2014 NCAA Division I Tournament - hosted at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium in Stanford, California.
"I'm very proud of the way the team competed out there today," said head coach Mike Quitko, who has 526 career wins to his name. "Stanford is a perennial powerhouse in women's tennis, so it was a very difficult draw for our team. We had a great season and look forward to improving over the summer in hopes of defending our MAAC Championship Title next year."
A tremendous season for a young Bobcat squad that brings nearly everyone back in 2014-15, Quinnipiac concludes the 2013-14 campaign with a 13-11 record. The loss to the Cardinal, who improved to 17-2 on the season, snapped a nine-match winning streak that began back on Saturday, April 5 with a 7-0 win over Saint Peter's.
Stanford garnered an early lead after taking the doubles point, and then clinched the match with wins at No. 2, No. 5 and No. 6 singles. Sophia Dzulynsky (Miramar, Fla.), Michelle Dassa (Marlboro, N.J.) and Sydney Young (Austin, Texas) all went unfinished after taking points from the defending champions in their respective matches. Dzulynsky took on nationally-ranked No. 3 Kristie Ahn, Dassa squared off against No. 21 Carol Zhao, and Young took on No. 50 Taylor Davidson.
1) No. 10 Ahn/Zhao (STAN) vs. Dzulynsky/Young (QUIN) abandoned
2) No. 50 Davidson/Tsay (STAN) d. Dassa/Raynor (QUIN) 8-0
3) Doyle/Amelia Herring (STAN) d. Chupa/Oliphant (QUIN) 8-1
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1) No. 3 Kristie Ahn (STAN) vs. Sophia Dzulynsky (QUIN) abandoned
2) No. 51 Krista Hardebeck (STAN) d. Jacqueline Raynor (QUIN) 6-1, 6-0
3) No. 21 Carol Zhao (STAN) vs. Michelle Dassa (QUIN) abandoned
4) No. 50 Taylor Davidson (STAN) vs. Sydney Young (QUIN) abandoned
5) No. 54 Ellen Tsay (STAN) d. Kelsi Oliphant (QUIN) 6-0, 6-0
6) No. 57 Caroline Doyle (STAN) d. Ariana Launie (QUIN) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 2
It was a record-breaking season for the Bobcats program, as Quinnipiac amassed 190 wins between doubles and singles this year – the most since joining Division I back in 1998. Four players – Jacqueline Raynor (Garden City, N.Y.), Young, Kelsi Oliphant (Calgary, Alberta) and Dzulynsky – collected 35 or more wins, with three of them reaching 40-plus victories on the season. Raynor matched a DI program-record with 44 wins this year, and stands just 44 behind Stephanie Petrycki's all-time mark of 165.
In the opening match of the day, No. 53 Long Beach State upset No. 21Tulsa to advance to the second round. Stanford and Long Beach square off tomorrow, Saturday, May 10, 2014, at 1 p.m. at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
Student-Athletes, parents and fans can download the 2013-14 QU Athletics schedules to your laptop and mobile devices for free by clicking in the iCalendar link at the bottom of each sport's homepage or the master schedule page. Fans can also follow Quinnipiac Athletics on Facebook and Twitter (@QUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates.