Women's Soccer Edged By Monmouth, 2-1

HAMDEN, Conn. - The Quinnipiac University women's soccer team lost, 2-1, in a Northeast Conference match-up against Monmouth University on Friday, Oct. 8 at the Quinnipiac Soccer Field. With the loss, the Bobcats fall to 1-1-2 in the NEC and become 3-5-2 on the season, while the Hawks improve to 2-1-1 in the conference and 7-4-1 overall. Senior Meagan McLoughlin (Rocky Hill, Conn.) scored her second goal of the season in the defeat.

In a scoreless first half, the Bobcats outshot the Hawks 5-4. Quinnipiac goalie Jillian Kelley (Simsbury, Conn.) had two saves in the half, while her counterpart Lia Fierro made one save.

"In the first half, we matched them, we were hungry, we closed them down, and we won tackles," said Quinnipiac Head Coach Dave Clarke. "We looked good attacking wise."

Tied 0-0, coming into the second half, both teams struggled to find the back of the net. The first goal of the game was scored in the 76th minute of play by Courtney Snyder to put Monmouth ahead, 1-0. Snyder's goal was her third of the season and was assisted by Mary Wilks. The Hawks' second goal was scored within the next two minutes by Jennie Vartebedian, for her first goal of the season.

Down 2-0, the Bobcats fought for a comeback and scored in the 83rd minute of play off of a shot by McLoughlin in the top-middle of the net. The goal was assisted by junior Furtuna Velaj (Stamford, Conn.), for her second assist of the season. Velaj's corner kick found Mcloughlin in middle of the eighteen for the one-timer. Quinnipiac was unable to match Monmouth's two goals in the remainder of the game.

"We didn't manage the game," said Clarke. "We were back on our heels defending the whole time and eventually, percentage wise, we were going to give up a goal and we did."

The 2-1 defeat was Quinnipiac's first NEC loss on the season.

The Bobcats host conference opponent Mount St. Mary's on Sunday, Oct. 10 at the Quinnipiac Soccer Field in Hamden, Conn. at 12 p.m.