Women's Soccer Falls To Siena, 4-3, In Overtime

HAMDEN, Conn. - Sophomore forward Furtuna Velaj (Stamford, Conn.) scored a goal and tallied an assist as the Quinnipiac University women's soccer team lost to Siena, 4-3, Friday evening. The Bobcats' record drops to 1-3, while the Saints improve to 5-2 on the season.

"We really dominated this game offensively and our efforts proved that as we scored three goals in the second half," said Head Coach Dave Clarke. "Unfortunately, our mental and physical game took a downturn towards the end of the second and Siena got the best of us to earn the win."

The Bobcats controlled the shots in the first half, recording an 11-5 edge over Siena, but the Saints were able to sneak one by in the ninth minute of play for the 1-0 lead. Cara Riley crossed the ball into the 18-yard box where teammate Lindsay Tegas collected it and booted it past Quinnipiac goalkeeper Kendra Margulies (Weston, Mass.) for her first goal of the season.

Quinnipiac responded in the second half during the 61st minute to tie the game at 1-1. Velaj picked up a rebound in front of the net and snapped a low shot into the right corner for her second goal of the season. The goal was unassisted.

Sophomore Kristina Del Mistro (East Williston, N.Y.) earned the Bobcats the 2-1 lead just minutes later in the 69th minute of play. Velaj took a free-kick outside the 18-yard box that landed in chaos in front of the net. Del Mistro took control of the ball and tipped it past Siena goalkeeper Laura Ettinger for her second goal of the year. The assist was the third of the year for Velaj.

Siena scored at the 77:12 mark to tie the game at 2-2. Marissa Shibley took a high shot from 30-yards out that sailed just over the head of Margulies for her first tally of the year.

Freshman Shauna Edwards (Southington, Conn.) retaliated just thirty seconds later to regain the Bobcat lead. At the top of the 18-yard box Edwards collected the ball deflected by a Saints' defender and ripped a shot into the left side of the net for her first goal of the season.

With fifty seconds remaining in regulation, Shibley scored her second goal of the game for the Saints to force overtime. After a Quinnipiac foul, Siena set up for a free kick 25-yards away from the goal where Shibley sent a high lob over the head of Margulies into the net.

Tegas scored her second goal of the game in overtime to give the Saints the 4-3 victory in the 93rd minute of play. Tegas stole the ball from a Quinnipiac defender inside the scorer's box and slipped it past Margulies for the win.

Margulies recorded seven saves in net for the Bobcats, while Ettinger made four saves for Siena. The Bobcats finished the game with a 22-15 edge in shots, and an 8-0 advantage in corner kicks.

Quinnipiac returns to action Sunday, Sept. 20, when they travel to the University of Rhode Island for a non-conference match-up. The game is scheduled to start at 1 p.m.