Women's Rugby Earns Draw With SUNY Stony Brook On Senior Day, 11-11

Quinnipiac Women's Rugby Homepage
Quinnipiac Women's Rugby Season Schedule
MetNY Women's Rugby Homepage 
Stat Sheet 

Photos of QU-Stony Brook Game

HAMDEN, Conn. – On senior day at Quinnipiac Rugby Field, the Quinnipiac women's rugby team came back to tie fellow MetNY opponent SUNY Stony Brook, 11-11, on Sunday afternoon in Hamden, Conn. Quinnipiac's record now stands at 3-2-1 in conference play (3-4-1 overall), while Stony Brook's record moves to 2-2-2 both in the MetNY and on the season overall.

Quinnipiac's game-tying try, coming with just over two minutes remaining in regulation, was scored by sophomore Christina DeJesus (Purchase, N.Y.) who earned her first-career points on the score.

More Photos of Senior Day

The Bobcats were led by junior Emily Carroll's (Hull, Mass.) eight tackles on the afternoon, followed by freshman Elisa Cuellar's (Palm Bay, Fla.) five tackles and junior Nancy Dunn's (Moscow, Pa.) four tackles.

Quinnipiac controlled possession for most of the first-half and came out of the gates strong, scoring on a penalty kick just four minutes into the game. Junior Krystin Orrico (Cranford, N.J.) booted through her first of two penalty kicks in the half, giving the Bobcats the 3-0 lead. 

Stony Brook followed with its first substantial offensive attack of the afternoon, but a missed penalty kick with 23 minutes remaining in the first half kept the Seawolves off the board. The Seawolves continued its pressure and nearly scored three minutes later, however a saving tackle from Carroll once again thwarted Stony Brook's offensive surge. Stony Brook received its first points of the afternoon on a penalty kick from Kathy Tang with sixteen minutes remaining in the half, tying the score at three apiece.

Stony Brook scored its first try three minutes later, following a break-out run from Tang, who then tossed the ball to Katherine Foran for the score, increasing the Seawolves lead, 8-3.

Quinnipiac was quick to respond, as an Orrico penlty kick with 10 minutes remaining in the half brought the score to 8-6 in favor of the Seawolves. Stony Brook countered with a penalty kick of its own with just over two minutes remaining, as Tang's kick sent the teams into halftime with the score, 11-6.

The second half was a defensive battle on both sides, as neither team was willing to concede a try from the opposition. On multiple occasions, the Bobcats threatened near the in-goal area, but could not find the seam it needed to push in for the score.

However, Quinnipiac refused to be denied and tied the score on DeJesus' try to give the game its final score of 11-11.

Overall, the Bobcats finished with 11 line-outs won, compared to Stony Brook's 10. The Bobcats also won the battle at the scrums, earning a 10-5 advantage in the contest.

The Bobcats return to action on Sunday, Nov. 6 when they travel to face Eastern Illinois at 12 p.m.

Contact: Ross Bennett, rsbennett@quinnipiac.edu