Men’s Tennis Wins Thriller at Delaware, 4-3
ELKTON, Md. – Carlos Fernandez (Mexico City, Mexico) earned his Navy and Gold on Saturday night, as the freshman newcomer claimed the final point in a come-from-behind 4-3 win for the Bobcats at the Elkton Indoor Tennis Center in Maryland.
With the match hanging in the balance and all square at three apiece, Fernandez buckled down and defeated Roy Cheng at No. 6 singles for the deciding point. Fernandez took the first set, 6-3, and then outlasted Cheng in a tie-break, 6-5 (5), to claim the Bobcats' fourth point. The win was the first of Fernandez's collegiate career.
After dropping the doubles point, the rally started at No. 2, 3 and 4 singles, where Eric Ambrosio (Lloyd Harbor, N.Y.), Patrick Sell (Neuenbuerg, Germany) and Luke Roser (Bernardsville, N.J.) each won in straight sets. Ambrosio knocked off Adam Lawton, 6-4, 6-1, at No. 2; Sell defeated Evan Andrews, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 3; and Roser cruised past Mike Furr, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 4. With the win, Quinnipiac improved to 5-2 on the season.
Ryoma Haraguchi (New York, N.Y.) nearly clinched the match at No. 5 singles, but fell short in the third set. Alex Sweet kept the Blue Hens alive with a 4-6, 6-3, 10-7 victory over Haraguchi which set the stage for Fernandez. The loss was the first of the season for Delaware (2-1).
1. Adam Lawton/Troy Beneck (UD) def. Patrick Sell/Carlos Fernandez (QU), 6-3
2. Evan Andrews/Mike Furr (UD) def. Eric Ambrosio/Kei Ezaka (QU), 6-5 (4)
3. Alex Sweet/Zack Niklaus (UD) def. Luke Roser/Ryoma Haraguchi (QU), 6-3
1. Troy Beneck (UD) def. Kei Ezaka (QU), 6-2, 6-1
2. Eric Ambrosio (QU) def. Adam Lawton (UD), 6-4, 6-1
3. Patrick Sell (QU) def. Evan Andrews (UD), 6-1, 6-2
4. Luke Roser (QU) def. Mike Furr (UD), 6-3, 6-4
5. Alex Sweet (UD) def. Ryoma Haraguchi (QU), 4-6, 6-3, 10-7
6. Carlos Fernandez (QU) def. Roy Cheng (UD), 6-3, 6-5 (5)
Quinnipiac enjoys about a month off before resuming competition in their annual trip to Florida. The Bobcats are scheduled to play South Dakota St. (3/10) Creighton (3/11) and Valparaiso (3/13) – before returning home to continue MAAC play against Fairfield (3/20).
Student-Athletes, parents and fans can download the 2013-14 QU Athletics schedules to your laptop and mobile devices for free by clicking in the iCalendar link at the bottom of each sport's homepage or the master schedule page. Fans can also follow Quinnipiac Athletics on Facebook and Twitter (@QUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates.