HAMDEN, Conn. – The Quinnipiac University men's tennis team won its third straight match on Saturday afternoon, as the Bobcats cruised past intrastate foe Hartford, 6-1, at the QU Outdoor Tennis Courts on Mount Carmel Avenue. With the win, QU improves to 6-9 overall, while the visiting Hawks fall to 3-10 on the season.
Quinnipiac opened the match with a dictating performance in the doubles segment, taking all three matches from the Hawks. Andrew Weeden (Martinsville, N.J.) and James Kwei (Dedham, Mass.) defeated Josh Isaacson and Aneil Bhalla, 8-1, in No. 1, Garrett Lane (Reading, Mass.) and Eric Ambrosio (Lloyd Harbor, N.Y.) swept Marco Neves and Mike Kennelly, 8-0, in No. 2, and Chris Nelson (Scituate, Mass.) and Alex Lazerowich (Stratham, Mass.) topped Alex Holdstein and Bogdan Nedelcu, 8-3, in No. 3.
The Bobcats followed with a near perfect display in singles competition. Weeden defeated Neves, 6-0, 6-1, in No. 1, Lane defeated Isaacson, 6-0, 6-2, in No. 3, Ambrosio defeated Kennelly, 6-4, 7-5, in No. 4, Petrini defeated Holdstein, 6-3, 6-4, in No. 5, and Nelson outlasted Nedelcu, 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (5), in No. 6.
Hartford resumes its 2012 schedule on Wednesday when it hosts Marist in West Hartford, Conn. First serve is set for 4 p.m.
QU returns to the court a day earlier with a Northeast Conference showdown against Sacred Heart. Prior to first serve at 2 p.m., the men's tennis program will honor James Kwei for his terrific career with the Bobcats, with all the action taking place at the QU Outdoor Tennis Courts. For all of the latest news, scores and highlights pertaining to the men's tennis program, please visit www.QuinnipiacBobcats.com.
1. (QU) Weeden/Kwei Def. (HART) Bhalla/Isaacson: 8-1
2. (QU) Lane/Ambrosio Def. (HART) Neves/Kennelly: 8-0
3. (QU) Nelson/Lazerowich Def. (HART) Holdstein/Nedelcu: 8-3
1. (QU) Weeden Def. (HART) Neves: 6-0, 6-1
2. (HART) Bhalla Def. (QU) Kwei: 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
3. (QU) Lane Def. (HART) Isaacson: 6-0, 6-2
4. (QU) Ambrosio Def. Kennelly: 6-4, 7-5
5. (QU) Petrini def. (HART) Holdstein: 6-3, 6-4
6. (QU) Nelson Def. (HART) Nedelcu: 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (5)
Contact: Tony Distasio; firstname.lastname@example.org