Men's Tennis Defeated By Fairleigh Dickinson, 6-1
TEANECK, N.J. – Freshman Eric Ambrosio (Lloyd Harbor, N.Y.) picked up his 17th and 18th wins of the season on Friday afternoon, but the Quinnipiac University men's tennis team dropped a Northeast Conference match to Fairleigh Dickinson, 6-1, at the FDU Tennis Center. Ambrosio collected the lone Bobcats' point in No. 4 singles while pairing with James Kwei (Dedham, Mass.) for a triumph in No. 2 doubles.
With the loss, the Bobcats drop to 3-8 overall and 1-2 in league competition. The Knights, now winners in four straight, improve to 8-7, 1-0 in the conference.
For the first time this year, Kwei and Ambrosio were paired together for the Bobcats in the doubles segment. In a tightly played contest, Kwei and Ambrosio topped Yuri Gricheno and Dominic Hemy, 8-6, in No. 2, aiding the Bobcats towards the point. However, FDU prevailed in No. 1 and No. 3 for an early 1-0 lead.
The Knights carried the momentum into singles play, taking all but one match from the visiting Bobcats. Ambrosio defeated Peter Skvarka, 6-4, 6-4, to put QU on the scoreboard. Ambrosio has now won four matches in a row dating back to his match against Bucknell on March 15.
Fairleigh Dickinson resumes NEC competition on Sunday against Sacred Heart. First serve is set for 1 p.m. in Teaneck, N.J.
Quinnipiac returns to the court on Monday afternoon with a 1 p.m. matinee against Villanova at the VU Tennis Complex in Villanova, Pa. For all of the latest news, scores and highlights pertaining to the men's tennis program, please visit www.QuinnipiacBobcats.com.
1. Berzins/Shams (FDU) def. Weeden/Lane (QU): 8-4
2. Kwei/Ambrosio (QU) def. Gricheno/D. Hemy (FDU): 8-6
3. M. Hemy/Skvarka (FDU) def. Morgenstern/Lazerowich (QU): 8-0
1. Berzins (FDU) def. Weeden (QU): 6-0, 6-0
2. Shams (FDU) def. Kwei (QU): 6-1, 6-0
3. Gricheno (FDU) def. Lane (QU): 6-7(2), 7-6(5), 10-6
4. M. Hemy (FDU) def. Morgenstern (QU): 6-4, 6-4
5. Ambrosio (QU) def. Skvarka (FDU): 6-4, 6-4
6. D. Hemy (FDU) def. Chris Nelson (QU): 6-2, 6-4
Contact: Tony Distasio; firstname.lastname@example.org