Men's Soccer Falls To Mount St. Mary's, 4-3, In Overtime

Emmitsburg, Md. - Two second-half goals, including one in the final minute, from senior midfielder Shane Recklet (Shelton, Conn.) forced extra time, but the Quinnipiac University men's soccer team fell to Mount St. Mary's, 4-3, in overtime Friday night. The loss was the first of the season in Northeast Conference play for the Bobcats who drop to 5-1-2 this season and 8-2-6 overall. The win improves the Mount's record to 4-3-1 in NEC play, while 5-9-1 overall.

"We showed a lot of character to overcome that deficit to fight back twice tonight," said head coach Eric Da Costa. "It seems pretty unlucky to lose on a penalty kick in overtime. But, it's something that we have to get over and regroup to get ready for Sunday's game."

The Bobcats fell behind 2-0 in the final minutes of the first half, but tied the game on two separate occasions in the second 45 minutes of play. Goals from Scott and Gary Phinith in the 35th and 43rd minutes of play gave the Mountaineers a 2-0 lead headed into halftime.

Recklet scored his first of the game and the season on a crossing pass from sophomore Durval Pereira (Cheshire, Conn.) in the 52nd minute to pull the Bobcats to within one, 2-1. Pereira found Recklet with the pass from inside the goal box that the senior co-captain slammed home for his first goal.

Quinnipiac didn't have to wait too long to tie the game at 2-2. Junior defender Pierre Soubrier (Aurignac, France) was the recipient of another Pereira assist in the 52nd minute. The second-year Bobcat's header was deflected by Mount goalkeeper Chris Davis, but the rebound was put home by Soubrier on the doorstep for his fourth goal of the season.

Mount St. Mary's Kyle Patrick made it a 3-2 game in the 75th minute of play. Will Jagger found Patrick with a through pass for his first goal of the season and the one-goal advantage.

Recklet provided the game-tying goal in the 90th minute with a well-place shot that beat Davis in goal from just inside the top of the 18-yard box. The senior co-captain found the back of the net with 48 seconds showing on the clock to send the game to overtime tied, 3-3.

Just two minutes and 14 seconds into the extra session, Quinnipiac was called for a foul in the penalty box and given a yellow card. Mount St. Mary's elected to have team-leading scorer Chris Wheeler line up to take the penalty kick. Wheeler beat goalkeeper Freddy Hall (St. George, Bermuda) with the kick and the 4-3 win.

Hall stopped seven shots in the game, picking up his second loss of the 2009 season. Davis turned aside just three Quinnipiac shots in picking up the victory.

The Bobcats return to action on Sunday when they travel to West Long Branch, N.J., to take on Monmouth. The Hawks moved into first place with a win on Friday and lead Quinnipiac by two points in the NEC standings. The teams are set to kick off at 1 p.m.