Men's Soccer Defeats Saint Francis (Pa.), 3-0, For First NEC Win

HAMDEN, Conn. - Three different players tallied goals as the Quinnipiac University men's soccer team earned a 3-0 victory against Saint Francis (Pa.) Sunday afternoon at Quinnipiac Soccer Field. The win was the first in Northeast Conference play for the Bobcats who improve to 1-0-1 and 4-0-5 overall. The loss drops the Red Flash to 4-6-1 overall and 0-1-1 in NEC play.

"We were disappointed that we could not get three points on Friday," said head Coach Eric Da Costa. "It was nice to come out here today and turn it around in just a couple of days. To get three goals, while still keeping a clean sheet was something we were obviously thrilled about."

Junior Dominic Adams (John Dial, Trinidad and Tobago) scored his first goal of the season in the 19th minute of play. After sophomore Durval Pereira (Cheshire, Conn.) was fouled along the left sideline, the Quinnipiac forward lined up for a free kick. Durval put a well-placed ball into the far corner of the box where Adams was waiting. The junior midfield put the ball into the far corner with a quick redirect off the inside of his right foot. Pereira earned his first point of the season with the assist.

Just five minutes into the second half, Saint Francis was called for a foul inside the 18-yard box. Junior Pierre Soubrier (Aurignac, France) lined up to take the penalty kick. The Quinnipiac defender put a ball into the top left corner as Red Flash goalkeeper Darius Motazed dove to his left. The goal was the second of the season for Soubrier as the Bobcats took the 2-0 advantage.

Saint Francis' David Butler had a scoring chance in the 61st minute to get the Red Flash on the board, but was denied by Quinnipiac senior goalkeeper Freddy Hall (St. George, Bermuda). Butler had an open look at the goal and tried to go to the far right corner. Hall dove to his right and deflected the ball into middle of the box where a Bobcat defender cleared it out of harm's way.

Freshman Philip Suprise (Milwaukee, Wis.) made it 3-0 in the 66th minute. The forward's second goal of the season came as a result of long run through the Saint Francis defense. Suprise moved up the right side of the field before cutting to the top of the 18-yard box. Using a defender as a screen, Suprise's shot slipped past Motazed and into the bottom left corner of the goal.

Hall preserved the shutout with a diving save on a penalty kick with six seconds remaining in the second half. Parnell Hegngi was awarded the kick after Quinnipiac was whistled for a foul inside the box. Hegngi tried to beat the Quinnipiac keeper with a shot to the lower left corner of the goal, but Hall was able to knock the ball away with his outstretched right hand.

The Bobcats' senior keeper matched a season high with 11 saves in the win. In earning his fifth shutout of the season, Hall has now gone the last 210 minutes of play without allowing a goal. Saint Francis' Motazed recorded six saves in the game.

The Bobcats return to action on Friday, Oct. 9 as they conclude their six-game homestand against the Bryant Bulldogs. The teams are scheduled to kickoff at 3 p.m.