Men's Soccer Ties Iona, 2-2

HAMDEN, Conn. - The Quinnipiac University men's soccer team tied Iona, 2-2, Saturday afternoon at the Quinnipiac Soccer Field. First-half goals from freshman Philip Suprise (Milwaukee, Wis.) and junior Pierre Soubrier (Aurignac, France) helped the Bobcats remain undefeated this season as the tie pushes their record to 2-0-3. Iona is now 3-1-2 after playing to its second tie of the season.

"Ties are always tough," said head coach Eric Da Costa. "You don't come out to games looking to tie them, but the positives are that we are still undefeated and we have more games left on this homestand. Considering where we are right now, it is a true reflection of our team's character and to our quality of play."

Iona's Giovanni Destasio scored the game's opening goal in the sixth minute. Destasio received a pass from Mario Rios inside the box and put a shot into the lower left corner past Quinnipiac senior goalkeeper Freddy Hall (St. George, Bermuda). The goal was the first allowed by Hall since the first half of the season-opening game at Yale, spanning more than 361 minutes of play.

Quinnipiac did not waste much time tying the game. After a foul outside the top of the goal box, Soubrier put a well-placed free kick around a wall of Iona defenders and into the lower right corner in the 12th minute. The goal was the first of his career.

Destasio gave the Gaels a 2-1 lead just four minutes later. The Iona forward was able to slip a loose ball into the net after it ricocheted off a Quinnipiac defender and Hall along the goal line. Destasio's foot caught just enough of the ball as it went past to deflect it into the goal.

Suprise tied the game, 2-2, in the 40th minute. The freshman forward took a long ball and split two defenders outside the box. After being spun around by an Iona defender inside the box, Suprise put an arching shot off the right post. The ball bounced off the inside of the post and into the opposite corner for the first goal of his career.

In contrast to the first half, neither team was able to sustain any real offensive threats for a majority of the second. Quinnipiac's Dominic Adams (John Dial, Trinidad and Tobago) started a late rush, making a quick pass just over the midfield line to a streaking Dwayne Mars (St. Michael, Barbados) on the left side of the field with 1:15 showing on the clock. After making a quick move to turn an Iona defender the wrong way, Mars centered the ball to sophomore forward Durval Pereira (Cheshire, Conn.) at the top of the box. Pereira kept the play alive by making a touch-pass to Suprise on his right for a quick shot that sailed wide of the goal. Iona was not able to beat Hall with a late shot and the game went to overtime.

Quinnipiac's best scoring chance in either overtime period came with 45 seconds remaining in the first extra session. Suprise's speed allowed the forward to get behind two Gaels, but was denied on the low shot by Iona goalkeeper Nils Binstock.

For the game, Hall made seven saves including one in the second overtime period, while Binstock turned away five Quinnipiac shots in 110 minutes of play.

The Bobcats return to action on Wednesday, Sept. 23 as they continue their homestand against Stony Brook. The teams are scheduled to kickoff at 4 p.m.