Men's Soccer Ties No. 18 Loyola (Md.), 0-0, In Home Opener

HAMDEN, Conn. - Freddy Hall (St. George, Bermuda) recorded his first shutout of the season as the Quinnipiac University men's soccer team played to a scoreless tie with No. 18 Loyola (Md.) at the Quinnipiac Soccer Field. The Bobcats begin the season 0-0-2 after the 0-0 tie, while the Greyhounds' record now stands at 1-1-1.

"We can take a lot of positives from this game," said Head Coach Eric Da Costa. "We had a lot of chances, but couldn't capitalize and finish. As long as we can put that together good effort, maintain the possession and play defense like we did today we will be a good team moving forward."

Quinnipiac controlled much of the first half, recording two quality scoring chances. Freshman Philip Suprise (Milwaukee, Wis.) had the best chance to put the Bobcats on top early as he beat two Greyhound defenders at the top of the box. A quick move to his right opened up a clear shooting lane, but the Quinnipiac forward pushed his shot just left of the far post in the 19th minute.

Sophomore Durval Pereira (Cheshire, Conn.) also found some open space to shot in the first half with three and a half minutes remaining. The second-year forward's curving shot from 35 yards out, sailed to the left of the goal post. Hall kept the Greyhounds off the board as well, fisting two shots out of harm's way as the teams headed into halftime tied, 0-0.

Neither team was able to get any sustained offensive pressure in the second half as both Loyola and Quinnipiac managed just five shots on goal; all coming in the final seven minutes. Hall punched a corner kick out of the box in the 84th minute which led to a transitional play for the Bobcats' forwards. Junior forward Nick Pelicaen (Schoten, Belgium) thought he scored the game-winning goal with 4:50 showing on the clock, but his acrobatic kick from the top of the box hit the outside of the net.

Dominic Adams (John Dial, Trinidad and Tobago) had the final scoring opportunity of regulation. With the clock about to expire, Adam's shot was denied by the Loyola goalkeeper Kyle Wittman, sending the scoreless game to overtime.

In the first overtime session, the Greyhounds' Danny Ankrah had the best chance to end the game. The Loyola forward weaved through two Quinnipiac defenders before blasting a shot destined for the upper right corner. The attempt sailed just high of its target and ricocheted off the crossbar and away from harm.

The second overtime produced just one scoring chance as the Greyhounds' Eddie Dines put a high shot to the middle of the goal. Hall jumped and was able to get both hands on the ball as he knocked the shot over the net.

Hall finished the game with six saves, while Wittman turned aside three Quinnipiac shots in 110 minutes of action.

The Bobcats return to action on Saturday, Sept. 12, as they travel to Newark, N.J., to take on NJIT. The game is set for a 7:30 p.m. start.