Second Half Charge Falls Short; Men's Lacrosse Outlasted By Hartford, 15-12

Box Score
QU Men's Lacrosse Homepage
QU Men's Lacrosse Statistics
NEC Men's Lacrosse Homepage

HAMDEN, Conn. – Junior Brandon Kuring (New Milford, Conn.) and sophomore Dylan Webster (Brampton, Ontario) each scored four goals on Saturday afternoon, but the Quinnipiac University men's lacrosse team couldn't overcome a first-half deficit en route to a 15-12 loss to Hartford at Alumni Field.

The Bobcats, now 0-6 on the season, received 67 percent of their total offense off the sticks of Kuring and Webster. Kuring, who entered the game with one goal to his name, was tremendous adding two assists for a six-point outing. Webster continued his early season success with five groundballs to go along with his four points. Basil Kostaras (Southlake, Texas) extended his point-streak to 11 games with a goal, while Michael Sagl (West Islip, N.Y.), Jay Binkowski (Bethany, Conn.) and Matt Diehl (Towson, Md.) concluded the scoring for QU. Diehl also chimed in with two assists, while Chris Coppolecchia (Somers, N.Y.) caused two turnovers, picked up four groundballs and assisted on another and Pat Corcoran (Stratford, Conn.) registered an assist.

The first quarter featured a formidable start, both offensively and defensively for the hosting Hawks. Hartford found the back of the net five times in the first seven minutes, taking a commanding lead in the non-conference showdown. The Bobcats got one back off the stick of Webster with just under four minutes remaining in the opening frame, but the Hawks had an answer. Ryan Compitello netted his second goal of the game with 10 seconds showing on the clock for a 6-1 lead through the initial 15 minutes.

Kuring and the Bobcats wasted little time getting the offense going in the second quarter, as the sophomore attackman found the back of the cage 2:47 seconds after the faceoff. Unfortunately, Hartford responded with three of the next four goals, taking a 10-3 lead into the locker room at halftime. Diehl scored QU's final tally of the half, his second career nod.

Contrary to the first 30 minutes, Quinnipiac came out with vengeance in the third quarter. The Bobcats scored four unanswered goals, cutting their deficit to just three with 8:52 seconds left in the period. Kuring ignited the charge with his second goal of the game, followed by goals from Webster and Dahlgard, and capped off by Kuring who completed the hat trick with the fourth tally.

After two quick goals from UHART, QU regained the momentum with three straight goals, inching back to within two. Sagl was credited with the final goal of the third quarter, while Webster and Kuring each found the back of the net early on in the final frame, leaving a 12-10 count on the scoreboard.

Despite the second half surge, the Hawks battled back with three straight goals, taking a 15-10 lead. Quinnipiac generated two goals in the waning minutes, but couldn't find the cage again, solidifying a home win for the Hawks.

Face-offs may have proved to be the difference, as the Hawks controlled the statistic, 31-20, for the game. Quinnipiac outshot Hartford, 34-29, but surrendered a 31-20 discrepancy in groundballs. Hartford turned it over three more times than the Bobcats.

Freshman Dylan Torey (Darien, Conn.) stopped nine shots between the pipes for QU. His counterpart, Scott Bement made 10 saves on the afternoon.

Hartford, now 2-5 on the season, is back in action on Wednesday, March 21 against Sacred Heart. The Bobcats return to the turf on Saturday where they will play host to Binghamton. Faceoff is set for 1 p.m. at the QU Lacrosse Turf Field.

For all information regarding the men's lacrosse program, please visit

Contact: Tony Distasio;