ECAC Hockey Quarterfinals: Bobcats and Big Red Drop The Puck For Deciding Game 3 At 7:30 PM
Games #34-36: No. 1 Quinnipiac University Bobcats (25-6-5) vs.
No. 9 Cornell University Big Red (15-15-3)
Dates: Mar. 17 (Series Tied 1-1)
All-Time Series vs. Cornell: 8-14-2
Last Time QU Faced Cornell:W, 10-0 (3/15/13, Hamden, Conn.)
Last QU Win vs. Cornell: W, 10-0 (3/15/13, Hamden, Conn.)
Current Quinnipiac Streak vs. Cornell: Won 1
2012-13 vs. Cornell: 3-1-0
All-Time vs. Cornell In ECAC Hockey Tournament: 4-3-0
- Audio: AM 1220 WQUN (Bill Schweizer, Chris Kotsopoulos)
- Video: QuinnipiacBobcats.com
- Live Stats: QuinnipiacBobcats.com
- Quinnipiac Game Notes In PDF Format
- Cornell Game Notes In PDF Format
- NESN Channel Listing For Saturday, Mar. 16
- ECAC Hockey Championship Homepage
ECAC Hockey Quarterfinals Game 2
The Quinnipiac men's ice hockey team hosts Cornell for the deciding Game 3 of the ECAC Hockey Quarterfinals at High Point Solutions Arena at the TD Bank Sports Center at 7:30 PM.
On The Airwaves
Bill Schweizer and Chris Kotsopoulos will have the call on AM 1220 WQUN for Sunday night's game. Bobcat fans can access the live audio stream on the web at www.WQUN.com and the live video stream on the web at necfrontrow.com or by clicking the "Audio" or "Video" link at www.QuinnipiacBobcats.com. Audio is also available on all mobile devices/smart phones from the official Quinnipiac Athletics app, as well as Shoutcast and TuneIn Radio.
Live audio, video and statistics can be accessed by clicking the appropriate links at the Official Website of Quinnipiac Athletics, www.QuinnipiacBobcats.com. America ONE Sports will broadcast all games for the ECAC Hockey Championship tournament.
Last Time Out
Following a Game 1 loss to Cornell, 3-2 on Friday, Mar. 15, the nationally-ranked No. 1 Quinnipiac Bobcats rolled on the Big Red, 10-0. Ben Arnt (1g, 3a), Connor Jones (1g, 3a) and Dan Federico (4a) all turned in four-point nights while Kellen Jones and Travis St. Denis both tallied a goal and two assists apiece. Matthew Peca had a goal and two assists in the win.
- The Bobcats' 10 goals are the most in the team's ECAC Hockey Tournament history and the most scored by one team in the tournament since Harvard scored 11 in a game, against Quinnipiac, on Mar. 14, 2008.
- Quinnipiac's 10-goal win is also its largest margin of victory in an ECAC Hockey game.
- Quinnipiac's seven goal second-period was also a tournament record for the most in a single period.
- The last time Quinnipiac scored 10 goals in a game was in a 10-0 win against Fairfield on Nov. 11, 2000.
- Between both teams, 34 penalties were served for a total of 184 minutes in the penalty box. It is the most penalties minutes compiled by two teams in ECAC Hockey history, passing the 134 minutes set by Yale and Harvard in 1998 and the second most penalties called in a game since 1985 (39, Clarkson vs. St. Lawrence).
- It is also the 13th most combined penalty minutes between two teams in NCAA Division I men's ice hockey history and the most since Canisius and RIT compiled 251 on Feb. 9, 2008.
SERIES HIGHLIGHTS HIGHLIGHTS (Updated March 16, 2013)
- Quinnipiac is now 23-17 all-time in the ECAC Hockey Tournament, dating back to the 2005-06 season, its first in ECAC Hockey. The Bobcats are also 8-13 all-time in the ECAC Hockey Quarterfinals. The last time they advanced past the league's second round, was in 2006-07 when they defeated St. Lawrence, 4-0, in the Semifinals before losing to Clarkson, 4-2, in the Championship Game.
- To date, Quinnipiac is now 4-5 all-time in ECAC Hockey Quarterfinals Game 1's; The Bobcats are also 4-1 all-time in Game 2's when trailing 1-0. Heading into Sunday's game, Quinnipiac is 0-5 all-time in deciding Game 3's.
- Kellen and Connor Jones and Matthew Peca are currently tied for the lead in ECAC Hockey Tournament points. Kellen has three goals and two assists, Connor has two goals and three assists and Peca has tallied a goal and four assists.
- Matthew Peca (Petawawa, Ontario), with a goal and four assists in the series' first two games, now has a team-best 13 points and 12 assists over his eight career ECAC Hockey Tournament games.
- Peca's 12 career postseason assists place him eight shy of the ECAC Hockey record for most postseason assists in a career. The record (20 assists) is held by Harvard's Lane MacDonald.
- The Bobcats' top-line of Matthew Peca (2g, 12a), Connor Jones (6g, 5a), Kellen Jones (5g, 6a) have accumulated 13 goals and 23 assists for 30 points in Quinnipiac's last eight ECAC Hockey Tournament games (2011-12; 2012-13).
- Connor Jones (Montrose, British Columbia) leads Quinnipiac with six career postseason goals –four in last year's ECAC Hockey Tournament and two in this year's series. He also has five career postseason assists.
- Kellen Jones (Montrose, British Columbia) had a goal and an assist on Friday night, and two goals and an assist on Saturday, giving him five goals and six assists in 14 career ECAC Hockey Tournament games.
- Loren Barron (Glendora, Calif.) assisted on one goal on Friday, giving him seven career postseason assists, as well as one goal.
The Cleary Cup
Quinnipiac clinched the 2013 Clear Cup for the ECAC Hockey Regular-Season Championship for the first time in the Bobcats' time in ECAC Hockey. The Bobcats finished the regular season at 17-2-3, good for 37 points while second-place Renssealer finished with 27 points. It also made Quinnipiac the first team since ECAC Hockey adopted the current point system to win the league by double-digit points.
Quinnipiac's Most Important Poll
Quinnipiac men's ice hockey team was ranked No. 1 for the first time in program history in the USCHO.com Division I poll and the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine poll on Feb. 11, 2013. Not only was the Bobcats' No. 1 ranking a first in program history, but it was also the first time a Quinnipiac athletic program has been nationally-ranked No. 1. The Bobcats have retained the ranking for five consecutive weeks.
The PairWise Rankings
The top-ranked Bobcats also remained at the top of the PairWise Rankings. Quinnipiac has held down the top spot in the PairWise rankings since Jan. 19, 2013.
Scouting The Cornell Big Red
Cornell is coming off a series sweep of No. 8-seed Princeton in last weekend's ECAC Hockey Championship First Round series in Princeton, N.J. The Big Red topped the Tigers 4-0 in the first game before completing the sweep with a 4-2 win in Game 2. Cornell is currently 14-14-3 for the year, but are 6-1-1 in its last eight games, with six four-goal games and have outscored their opponents, 27-12, in that span. In their current run, 12 different Big Red skaters have scored, led by Greg Miller's six goals in eight games. Miller has also assisted on a team-high seven goals for 13 points in the span of eight games. Joel Lowry (4-4--8), Joakim Ryan and Brian Ferlin (2-6--8, each) have also been red-hot in the last month. For the year, Miller leads Cornell in goals (14), assists (18) and points (32) while Lowry (12-10--22), Ferlin (7-14--21) and Ryan (3-18--21) give Cornell a quartet of 20-point scorers. In goal, Andy Iles is 14-14-3 with a 2.28 goals-against average and a .916 save percentage.
All-Time Against the Big Red
Quinnipiac is 8-14-2 all-time against Cornell, with five of its seven wins in the series coming at Lynah Rink. Three of those five wins came in the ECAC Hockey Tournament, including a 1-0 victory in Game 2 of last season's quarterfinals. With Friday night's loss to Cornell, the Bobcats and Big Red have now split six games between the two all-time in the ECAC Hockey Tournament.
Pecknold Named Finalist For Tim Taylor Award
Quinnipiac men's ice hockey head coach Rand Pecknold has been announced as one of three finalists for ECAC Hockey's 2013 Tim Taylor Award, given to the league's Coach of the Year, as voted on by the league's head coaches. The winner of the Tim Taylor Award will be announced as part of ECAC Hockey's championship weekend on Thurs., Mar. 21 at the league's postseason banquet.