No. 18 Quinnipiac Men's Ice Hockey Skates To 2-2 Tie Against UMass

Box Score
Quinnipiac Men's Ice Hockey Homepage
Quinnipiac Men's Ice Hockey Statistics
ECAC Hockey Standings 

AMHERST, Mass. – The nationally-ranked No. 18 Quinnipiac men's ice hockey team tied the University of Massachusetts, 2-2, at the Mullins Center in Amherst, Mass. With the tie, Quinnipiac runs its undefeated streak to six games, 5-0-1, while its overall record goes to 8-3-2. UMass now stands at 4-5-2 on the year.

Bryce Van Brabant (Morinville, Ontario) scored his first goal of the season while Mike Dalhuisen's (Nymegen, Holland) third goal of the year tied the game midway through the third period. Quinnipiac goalie Eric Hartzell (White Bear Lake, Minn.) had 27 saves in the game.

Quinnipiac got on the board less than four minutes into regulation when Jordan Samuels-Thomas (Windsor, Conn.) took control of the puck along the boards in the Bobcats' defensive zone before flipping it up-ice to Ben Arnt (Oakland, Minn.). Arnt skated down the right side of the ice before sending the puck to Bryce Van Brabant (Morinville, Ontario), who slid behind the Minutemen defense. Van Brabant skated across the crease and beat UMass goalie Kevin Boyle with a backhand shot for his first goal of the season. The assist is Samuels-Thomas' fourth of the year and his fifth point in his last five games. Arnt picks up his third assist of the season.

With just over four minutes to go in the period, UMass tied the game with a short-handed goal by Conor Sheary. The Bobcats, playing with a man-advantage, turned the puck over at center ice, giving up an odd-man rush to Sheary and Kevin Czepiel, who carried the puck deep into the Bobcats' zone. Czepiel centered a pass to Sheary who faked with the forehand before going to the backhand to score on Quinnipiac goalie Eric Hartzell and even the score, 1-1.

Rocco Carzo scored on the power play with just under 11 minutes to play in the second period to give UMass a one-goal lead. After Quinnipiac was called for interference, UMass worked the puck low, between the face-off circles, as Hartzell turned back shots by Adam Phillips and Joey Hanley before Carzo picked up the rebound and banged it home to give UMass a 2-1 lead. Hanley and Colin Shea were awarded assists on the play.

With 12 minutes to play, Mike Dalhuisen (Nymegen, Holland) scored his third goal of the season on a blast from the point that beat Boyle, glove side, as the Bobcats knotted the game at 2-2. The puck bounced off the boards to Dalhuisen's tape who fired a shot through traffic that found the back of the net.

Quinnipiac returns to action when it travels to the Capital District on New York to take on Union on Nov. 30 at 7 p.m. followed by a trip to Rensselaer on Saturday, Dec. 1 at 7 p.m.