Quinnipiac Men's Ice Hockey Defeated By No. 8/8 Union, 5-2

Box Score
Season Stats
Quinnipiac Men's Ice Hockey Homepage
ECAC Hockey Standings

SCHENECTADY, N.Y. –The Quinnipiac men's ice hockey team lost to No. 8/8 Union, 5-2, in an ECAC Hockey match-up at Messa Rink in Schenectady, N.Y. With the loss, Quinnipiac drops to 8-8-4 in ECAC Hockey play and 16-11-5 overall while Union improves to 13-3-4 in league play and 19-6-7 overall.

Union's Greg Coburn put the Dutchmen on the board with a power play goal just 3:14 in the game. Coburn put Union out in front when he took a cross-ice pass from Kyle Bodie and one-timed the puck past Hartzell. It was the first power-play Quinnipiac had allowed since Jan. 14, 2012 against Colgate, a streak spanning the Bobcats' last five games. Daniel Carr gave Union a 2-0 lead when he dug the puck out from behind the Bobcats net, skated out to the left of Hartzell and rattled the puck off the far-side post and in to give the Dutchmen the two-goal lead heading into the first intermission.

Cory Hibbeler (St. Louis, Mo.) scored his second goal of the weekend at the 5:54 mark of the second period to cut Union's lead in half, 2-1. Scott Zurevinski (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan) handled the puck to the left of Union goalie Troy Grosenick before sending the puck out to Zach Davies (Smithers, British Columbia) at the point. Hibbeler cut across the crease as Davies' shot arrived and re-directed the puck past Grosenick for his sixth goal of the season.

With just under nine minutes to play in the second period, the Bobcats appeared to tie the game when Zurevinski flipped a wrist shot off of Grosenick's skate, but the goal was waved off as the referees ruled it crossed the goal line after the whistle. Connor Jones (Montrose, British Columbia) took the initial shot, throwing the puck on net from the right of the Union goal where it was stopped by Grosenick. Zurevinski then appeared to poke it between Grosenick's pads, but a whistle stopped the play. The original call stood after a brief video review.

Moments later, with Quinnipiac on the power play, Grosenick left the game with an injury, as Alex Stevens entered the game. Stevens denied the Bobcats, who were playing with a man-advantage, and Quinnipiac could not generate another scoring opportunity on the cold goalie, leaving the Bobcats trailing by a goal, 2-1, heading into the second intermission.

Kevin Sullivan put Union on top by two goals with a power play goal with just over nine minutes to play in the game. Kyle Bodie put the initial shot on goal before Jeremy Welsh attempted to rush the net and push it under Hartzell. The puck slid loose just outside the crease where Sullivan picked it up and flipped a back-hand shot past Hartzell to pad Union's lead, 3-1. Welsh and Matt Hatch added an empty net goals inside the final two minutes of regulation.

Sandwiched between goals by Welsh and Hatch, Bryce Van Brabant (Morinville, Alberta) scored his fourth goal of the year, with Reese Rolheiser (Edmonton, Alberta) and Mike Dalhuisen (Nymegen, Holland) picking up assists.

Quinnipiac will wrap-up the 2011-12 regular season next weekend when it hosts Brown on Friday, Feb. 24 and Yale on Saturday, Feb. 25. Prior to the start of the Bobcats' tilt against Brown, Quinnipiac will hold Senior Night ceremonies. On Saturday, the 10th Annual Heroes Hat game will be played between the Bobcats and Bulldogs, live on SportsNet New York (SNY) at 7:07 p.m.

For up-to-the-minute news, scores and highlights, visit the Official Website of Quinnipiac Athletics, www.QuinnipiacBobcats.com. For ticket information, Bobcat fans can call the TD Bank Sports Center ticket office at 203-582-3905.

Contact: Ken Sweeten (kfsweeten@quinnipiac.edu)