Quinnipiac Men's Ice Hockey Tops Holy Cross, 5-3

Free Video Archive of Game

HAMDEN, Conn. - Five different Bobcats scored as the Quinnipiac men's ice hockey team defeated Holy Cross, 5-3, in the Bobcats' home-opener at the High Points Solutions Arena at the TD Bank Sports Center. The non-conference win pushes Quinnipiac to 2-1-0 on the season while the Crusaders open the year at 0-1-0. 

Goals by Zack Currie (Victoria, British Columbia) and Cory Hibbeler (St. Louis, Mo.) staked the Bobcats to a 2-0 lead just four minutes into the second period before Holy Cross came storming back with three unanswered goals to take a 3-2 lead with less than three minutes to play in the second period. Loren Barron's (Glendora, Calif.) first goal of the season tied the game heading into the final period before he set-up Ben Arnt (Oakland, Minn.) with the game-winner.

Arnt benefitted from a line change by the Crusaders that saw Barron and Jeremy Langlois (Tempe, Ariz.) work the puck up the ice to set him up one-on-one with Holy Cross goalie Matt Ginn. Arnt was denied on his first shot from just outside the left face-off circle, but he followed his initial shot and punched the puck over Ginn's head and off the top, right post of the goal to give the Bobcats the lead. Connor Jones (Montrose, British Columbia) scored the insurance goal, his team-leading second goal of the year, with less than two minutes to play.

Quinnipiac and Holy Cross were both 1-for-6 on the power play, but Quinnipiac once-again outshot its opponent, this time to the tune of 44-24. The Bobcats managed to post a 20-5 advantage in the third period. Dan Clarke (Belleville, Ontario) recorded 21 saves in the game while Holy Cross' Ginn stopped 39. 

Currie's first goal of the season came at the 7:35 mark of the first period with the Bobcats on the power play. Kellen Jones (Montrose, British Columbia) followed the puck around the boards and punched it out of the corner to Connor who fed Currie at the point. Currie's blast from just above the face-off circle clanged past Ginn to give Quinnipiac a 1-0 lead. Hibbeler benefited from good positioning, picking up a rebound off Ginn's right post, on a shot by Clay Harvey (Gull Lake, Saskatchewan), for his first goal of the year.

HC's Matthew Davis scored thirty-seconds later at the 5:03 mark before Shayne Stockton's first goal fo the year, with assists to Adam Schmidt and Even Zych, tied the game, 2-2, with ten minutes to play in the period. Kyle Fletcher then converted on a power-play opportunity, with assist going to Rob Linsmayer and Brandon Nunn.

With 1:06 remaining in the period, freshman Matthew Peca (Petawawa, Ontario) handled the puck behind the Holy Cross net before finding Barron above the right face-off circle. Barron threw the puck on net and found the opposite corner, over Ginn's right shoulder, to tie the game, 3-3. Arnt's goal put the Bobcats out in front for good before Zach Davies (Smithers, British Columbia) took control of the puck deep in the Bobcats zone, hit Connor Jones' tape at the red line and sent the sophomore center up-ice one-on-one with Ginn. The left-handed Jones faked a shot on Ginn then skated across the crease before flipping a back-hand throw Ginn, five-hole, to slam the door on Holy Cross.

Quinnipiac is back in action this weekend when it hosts Canisius for a two-game series set for Saturday, Oct. 15 at 4 p.m. and Sunday, Oct. 16 at 1 p.m. at High Point Solutions Arena at the TD Bank Sports Center. 

Contact: Ken Sweeten, kfsweeten@quinnipiac.edu