Quinnipiac Men's Ice Hockey Falls To Cornell, 3-2 In Overtime, In Deciding Game of ECAC Hockey Quarterfinals

ITHACA, N.Y. - The Quinnipiac men's ice hockey team lost to Cornell, 3-2 in overtime, in the third and deciding game of the ECAC Hockey Quarterfinal series at Lynah Rink in Ithaca, N.Y. Quinnipiac ends the year at 16-15-8 while Cornell advances to the ECAC Hockey semifinals.

Quinnipiac trailed 2-0 heading into the final period and scored twice to tie the game with less than seven minutes to play. It was the first time in Quinnipiac's Division I history that the Bobcats erased a two-goal deficit in the third period to tie the game. Scott Zurevinski (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan) and Yuri Bouharevich (Montreal, Quebec) scored for Quinnipiac down the stretch to force overtime. Cornell's Joe Devin scored twice, including the game-winner in overtime, to lead the Big Red. Devin scored four of Cornell's five goals in the series.

"I'm proud of the way we competed late in the game and battled," head coach Rand Pecknold said. "We dug ourselves in a hole early in the game, but we battled and got back in the game. It says something that we came back from being down two."

Cornell got on the board first when Patrick Kennedy scored his second goal of the season just 3:13 into the game on a power play. The Big Red moved it around the perimeter before Mathieu Brisson put a shot on goal that Kennedy, set up in front of the crease, tipped past Eric Hartzell (White Bear Lake, Minn.) to give Cornell the early 1-0 lead.

Joe Devin scored his third goal of the series with 7:30 remaining in the second period. Just after Cornell killed off a penalty, Tyler Roeszler broke up a pass in the neutral zone and hooked up with Greg Miller. Miller, Roeszler and Devin took off down the ice on a three-on-one, resulting in a one-timer from Devin from the slot that beat Hartzell, glove-side.

Quinnipiac got on the board with 11:04 left in the game when Connor Jones (Montrose, British Columbia) took a shot from the right flank, sending the puck across the goal mouth to the opposite boards. Zach Davies (Smithers, British Columbia) sent a pass through traffic that Zurevinski knocked down and then flipped over the shoulder of Cornell goalie Mike Garman to pull the Bobcats within a goal, 2-1.

Bouharevich tied the game with just under seven minutes to play when Loren Barron (Glendora, Calif.) sent the puck over to Spencer Heichman (Yorba Linda, Calif.). Heichman's pass found Bouharevich's tape and his one-timer beat Garman between his pads to tie the game at 2-2.