Quinnipiac Men's Ice Hockey Falls To Cornell, 2-1, In First Game Of ECAC Hockey Quarterfinals

ITHACA, N.Y. - The Quinnipiac University men's ice hockey team lost to Cornell, 2-1, in the first game of the ECAC Hockey Quarterfinals at Lynah Rink in Ithaca, N.Y. Scott Zurevinski (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan) scored the Bobcats' only goal while Cornell's Joe Devin scored both of the Big Red's goals. The best-of-three series resumes on Saturday, March 12 at 7 p.m. Should Quinnipiac even the series with a win, the third and final game will be played on Sunday, March 13 at 7 p.m.

"I thought we played well tonight, the kids played hard," head coach Rand Pecknold said. "In the end, their power play was better than ours. I won't take anything away from Cornell, they played great. Mike Garman played great - we outshot them 20-5 in the first period and it was 1 -1 game. We'll have to play better tomorrow night to have a chance to win."

Devin put the Big Red on the board just under two minutes into the period at the 1:58 mark. Greg Miller and Tyler Roeszler were credited with assists on the goal. Miller hooked up with Roeszler who found Devin just above the face-off circle. His blast beat Clarke over his left shoulder to give Cornell a 1-0 lead.

Quinnipiac dominated play over the remainder of the period, outshooting Cornell 20-5 through the first frame. It wasn't until the 18:36 mark that the Bobcats were able to get one past Big Red goalie Mike Garman. Jeremy Langlois (Tempe, Ariz.) won a face-off in Cornell's zone, chipping it into the corner where it was picked up by Cornell's Braden Birch. Birch attempted to send it around the boards but it was picked-off by Russell Goodman (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan). Goodman saw a Bobcat-blue jersey streaking to the net and fired the puck to the slot. Scott Zurevinski (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan) went top-shelf on Garman to tie the game, 1-1, with just under two minutes to play in the period. The goal was Zurevinski's 13th of the year, while Goodman picks up his ninth assist of the season.

Devin scored his second goal of the game to give Cornell a 2-1 lead in the closing seconds of the second period. Miller and Roeszler once-again assisted on Devin's goal as Roeszler delivered a pass to the front of the crease where Devin was waiting for the one-timer to beat Clarke.