Quinnipiac Men's Ice Hockey Falls To #17 St. Cloud State, 5-2

ST. CLOUD, Minn. - The Quinnipiac University men's ice hockey team lost to nationally-ranked No. 17 St. Cloud State University, 5-2, in a non-conference match-up at the National Hockey Center in St. Cloud, Minn. The loss drops Quinnipiac to 4-2-0 overall while St. Cloud improves to 3-4-1 on the season.

Quinnipiac overcame a one-goal deficit after the first period to tie the game in the second period and head into the final frame tied at 2-2. St. Cloud scored three unanswered goals down the stretch, with Quinnipiac playing with a man-down for most of the period. Quinnipiac's Kellen Jones (Montrose, British Columbia) scored his team-leading third goal of the season while Jeremy Langlois (Tempe, Ariz.) scored his first goal of the year. Quinnipiac goalie Dan Clarke (Belleville, Ontario) finished with 17 saves in the game, while his counterpart, SCSU's Dan Dunn, turned back 29 shots on goal as Quinnipiac out-shot St. Cloud, 31-22.

St. Cloud took a 1-0 lead halfway through the first period when the Bobcats turned the puck over in the neutral zone, setting up SCSU with an three-on-two rush on Quinnipiac goalie Dan Clarke (Belleville, Ontario). Cory Thompson and Brian Volpei worked the puck back and forth before Aaron Marvin collected a rebound in the crease and pushed it past Clarke to give the Huskies the early lead.

Freshman Kellen Jones (Montrose, British Columbia) scored his team-leading fourth goal of the season with six minutes to play in the period, this one coming on the power play. Zach Hansen (White Bear Lake, Minn.) sent the puck into the corner where Connor Jones (Montrose, British Columbia) picked it up and found twin brother Kellen sitting between the face-off circle and the goalline. Kellen put a shot on goal, sneaking it over the shoulder of Dunn to tie the game at 1-1.

St. Cloud answered with a power-play goal of their own less than two minutes later. Nick Jensen fed the puck to Drew LeBlanc at the point, who put a shot on goal through traffic. Marvin was able to put a stick on the shot and re-direct past Clarke to give SCSU a 2-1 lead heading into the second period.

The score may have been deceiving as Quinnipiac outshot St. Cloud, 10-3 in the period, while St. Cloud had four man-advantage opportunities to the Bobcats' one.

The start of the second period was back and forth, with both offenses struggling to get anything started. It wasn't until Quinnipiac's Loren Barron (Glendora, Calif.) wrapped the puck around the boards, sending it behind the net. John Dunbar (Calgary, Alberta) beat his defender to the puck behind the net and found Jeremy Langlois (Tempe, Ariz.) sitting in the slot. The goal, which gave Dunbar and Langlois their first points of the season, tied the game heading into the final period.

Cam Reid scored his second goal of the year with assists going to LeBlanc and Brett Barta to push the St. Cloud lead to 3-2. Chris Hepp and Jared Festler accounted for the Huskies final two goals down the stretch.

Quinnipiac opens its ECAC Hockey schedule next week when the Bobcats travel to Providence, R.I. on Friday, Nov. 5 to face Brown before heading back to Connecticut to face Elm City foe, Yale on Saturday, Nov. 6 at 7 p.m.