No. 13 Men's Ice Hockey Upsets No. 5 Cornell, 3-2

ITHACA, N.Y. - The No. 13 Quinnipiac University men's ice hockey team upset No. 5 Cornell, 3-2, in an ECAC Hockey match-up at Lynah Rink in Ithaca, N.Y. With the win, Quinnipiac sweeps its third consecutive ECAC Hockey weekend to improve to 6-0-0 in conference play and 10-1-0 overall. Cornell goes to 5-2-0 overall and 4-2-0 in league action. Quinnipiac stands in first place following its sixth consecutive win.

Sophomore Dan Clarke (Belleville, Ont.) stopped 23 of 25 shots on goal, including the first 20 he saw in the game until late in the third period. Three different Quinnipiac players, including two freshmen, scored to lead Quinnipiac. Zach Davies (Smithers, B.C.) scored the game's first goal, while Reese Rolheiser (Edmonton, Alb.) scored the Bobcats' last. Mike Atkinson (Sparta, N.J.) also added a goal for Quinnipiac. The Bobcats withstood a late charge by Cornell, which include two goals in the last five minutes of the game.

"I'm proud of our effort tonight," head coach Rand Pecknold said. "We competed hard for the entire weekend. It's always exciting to get a win against a top-five team."

Cornell entered Saturday's game with the nation's top offense, as the Big Red averaged 4.50 goals per game. Cornell also had the top penalty kill in Division I men's ice hockey, having allowed just two power-play goals in its first six games before Quinnipiac scored on their first chance with a man advantage.

With the win against Cornell, Quinnipiac extends their streak of consecutive games without a loss when leading after the second period. In the last 40 games in which the Bobcats held a lead heading into the second intermission, Quinnipiac is 37-0-3.

Davies scored the game's first goal at the 6:41 mark of the first period. The goal, which came on the power play, was the result of a broken pass from Brandon Wong (Victoria, B.C.) to Eric Lampe (Madison, Wisc.). Lampe's one-timer from the doorstep was stopped by Cornell's Ben Scrivens, but Braden Birch's failed clear attempt ended on Davies' tape. Davies' blast from the slot beat Scrivens stick-side to put Quinnipiac out in front, 1-0.

Mike Atkinson's (Sparta, N.J.) goal just before the end of the first period was reviewed for several minutes to determine if it was scored before the horn. Brett Dickinson (Furlong, Pa.) held the puck behind the Big Red's net and set a pass out to Atkinson along the half-boards. The senior assistant captain skated through the Cornell defense and roofed a shot over the left shoulder of Scrivens to give Quinnipiac a two-goal lead heading into the first intermission.

Quinnipiac took a three-goal lead with just under nine minutes to play in the second period when Clay Harvey (Gull Lake, Saskatchewan) put a rush on goal before dropping a pass off to Lampe. Lampe's shot was stopped by Scrivens but freshman Reese Rolheiser (Edmonton, Alb.) knocked the loose puck past Scrivens to put Quinnipiac out in front, 3-0.

Sean Collins and John Esposito both scored inside the final five minutes of the game to cut the Quinnipiac lead to 3-2. Collins' goal came on a pass from Joe Scali. His shot was from the right side and beat Clarke to the far post. Esposito's goal came off a scrum in front of the crease with assists going to Nick D'Agostino and Riley Nash.

Quinnipiac returns to action on Wednesday, Nov. 25 when it hosts Princeton University in an ECAC Hockey match-up at the TD Bank Sports Center in Hamden, Conn. The Bobcats then host the University of Massachusetts on Saturday, Nov. 28 at 3 p.m. That game can be seen on the New England Sports Network (NESN).