Johnson's 20-Point Effort Leads Men's Basketball To 75-67 Win Against Maine

Free Video Replay of Maine at Quinnipiac Game

HAMDEN, Conn. - Quinnipiac's James Johnson (Queens, N.Y.) dropped in a game-high 20 points, to go along with seven rebounds, five assists and two steals, as he led the Bobcats to a 75-67 win against Maine at the TD Bank Sports Center. With the win, Quinnipiac improves to 4-1 through its first five games of the season while Maine drops to 2-3 overall.

Johnson's 20 points led four Quinnipiac players in double figures. Dave Johnson (Jackson, N.J.) came off the bench to score 14 points while Deontay Twyman (Olney, Md.) had 13 points and five rebounds. Justin Rutty (Newburgh, N.Y.) tallied 12 points and eight rebounds in the win.

Both teams traded baskets over the first eight minutes of the game before Maine took control of the lead at the 10:32 mark on a lay-up by Alasdair Fraser. Maine's biggest lead of the half, a nine-point advantage with 5:51 left in the frame, came on a three-pointer by Murphy Burnatowski to make the score 29-20. Quinnipiac used a 12-3 run to get back into the game, capped off by a three-pointer by Twyman with 2:46 to go before halftime to knot the score at 32-32. Maine, in the bonus after a flurry of Quinnipiac fouls, converted on 5-of-6 from the free throw line in the last two minutes of the half to take a five-point lead, 39-34, into halftime.

Quinnipiac stormed back in the second half, outscoring Maine 9-2 over the first four minutes of the period. The Bobcats were led by Johnson's five points in the run, including a three-pointer from the top of the key, well beyond the arc, to give Quinnipiac a 44-41 lead at the 16:11 mark. After a lay-up and free throw by Fraser tied the game at 44, the Black Bears took advantage of several Quinnipiac fouls, converting on their next six free throws to take a 50-46 lead.

After Dave Johnson scored the next five points for Quinnipiac, on a three-pointer and a pair of free throws, the Bobcats took control of the lead for good with 7:48 remaining in the game. Leading 53-52, Quinnipiac went on a 8-0 run to take a 61-52 lead with less than four minutes to play. After Maine cut the Quinnipiac lead to four, 63-59, the Bobcats knocked down seven-of-eight at the free throw line over the next two minutes to push their lead back to 10 at 70-60 with a minute to play.

Quinnipiac returns to action on Wednesday, Dec. 1, when it hosts Massachusetts in a non-conference match-up at 7 p.m. at the TD Bank Sports Center in Hamden, Conn. The Bobcats also face Northeast Conference foe Mount St. Mary's on Saturday, Dec. 4 at 2 p.m.