Quinnipiac University Bobcats (15-18, 10-3 MAAC)
Radford University Highlanders (21-17, 10-8 Big South)
Location: Radford University Baseball Stadium- Radford, VA.
Friday, April 25, 2014- 6:30 PM
Saturday, April 26, 2014- 4:00 PM
Sunday, April 27, 2014- 1:00 PM
The Quinnipiac baseball team will travel to Radford, Va. to take on Radford in a three-game non-conference series. The teams will open the series Friday, April 25th at 6:30 p.m., followed by a Saturday afternoon game at 4 p.m. before the series finale on Sunday, Apr. 27 at 1 p.m.
SCOUTING THE HIGHLANDERS
Radford comes into the series with a record of 21-17 and 10-8 in Big South conference play. Patrick Marshall (.380 (49-129), three homers, six doubles, 21 RS, and 30 RBI) and Alexander Lee (.378 (51-135), one triple, two homers, 11 doubles, 24 RBI, and 28 RS) lead the way offensively. Ryan Meisinger (4-0, 2.85 ERA, and 42 SO in 47 1/3 innings pitched) and Dylan Nelson (5-3, 3.42 ERA, and 37 SO in 52 2/3 innings pitched) anchor the rotation for the Highlanders.
LAST TIME OUT AGAINST UCONN
Quinnipiac is coming off a 5-3 loss to in-state foe UCONN. The Bobcats have lost their last two games and are looking to get back on track this weekend.
1. Mike Palladino - CF/SO | .262 (27-103) | one triple, one homer, five doubles, and 15 RS.
2. Matthew Batten - SS/FR | .246 (33-134) | One triple, six doubles, 12 RBI, and 18 RS
3. Lou Iannotti – C/SO | .233 (28-120) | Five doubles, two triples, one homer, 15 RS, and 13 RBI
4. Vincent Guglietti – 1B/JR | .341 (42-123) | .520 SLG, eight doubles, four HR, 27 RBI, and 24 RS
5. Rob Pescitelli – LF/SO | .222 (16-72) | one double, two homers, five triples, 12 RBI, and 16 RS.
6. Ryan Nelson- 2B/ SO |.223 (25-112) | seven doubles, one homer, 14 RBI, and eight RS.
7. Scott Donaghue - 3B/JR | .226 (21-93) | four doubles, one homer, 11 RBI, and 14 RS.
8. Mike Blumenthal - RF/SR | .297 (27-91) | six doubles, nine RS, and 11 RBI.
9. Brian Ruditys - DH/JR | .218 (19-87) | four doubles, seven RBI, and 12 RS.
- Friday April 25th- Thomas Jankins (4-5, 3.83 ERA, and 35 SO in 56 1/3 innings pitched)
- Saturday April 26th- Justin Thomas (1-2, 2.79 ERA, and 29 SO in 48 1/3 innings pitched)
- Sunday April 27th- Brandon Shileikis (2-0, 2.94 ERA, and 9 SO in 33 2/3 innings pitched)
FIVE AND 15
Quinnipiac is 11-4 over its last 15 games. The Bobcats have held their opponents to five runs or less in all of those contests while outscoring their opponents 81-46.
- The Bobcats have accumulated 131 hits while hitting .270 in that run, including 37 that have gone for extra-base hits.
- Seven different Bobcats have homered, led by Vincent Guglietti's four during the stretch.
- Quinnipiac's pitching staff has posted a 2.37 ERA after having given up 34 earned runs over a combined 129 innings pitched.
- Freshman starter Brandon Shileikis is 2-0 with a 0.44 ERA over the last 15 games, while classmate Thomas Jankins is 2-2 with a 1.65 ERA. Saturday starter Justin Thomas is 1-0, with two no-decisions, with a 2.55 ERA.
Senior Mike Blumenthal (Dix Hills, N.Y.) has been a catalyst for the Quinnipiac offense in his last five games played, batting .533 (8-15) with three doubles, four runs scored, and four RBI.
Sophomore Mike Palladino (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) has been a major table setter for Quinnipiac in the lead-off spot the last five games. In his last five games Palladino has eight hits, three runs scored, and three RBI.
Thomas Jankins (West Brookfield, Mass) and Brandon Shileikis (North Dighton, Mass) are a combined 4-0 over their last four starts. Jankins is 2-0 with 10 strikeouts in 15 innings pitched whileShileikis is 2-0 with three strikeouts in 15 1/3 innings pitched.
Sophomore Justin Thomas (Enfield, Conn) picked up his first win of the season this past weekend against Saint Peter's. Thomas tossed seven solid innings allowing only two runs on three hits while striking out two to pick up the victory.
THE MAGIC NUMBER THREE
Over the course of the last 18 games (13-5) when Quinnipiac is 12-2 when it scores three or more runs.
Freshman Matthew Batten (Shelton, Conn) has seven hits, three RBI, and two runs scored in his last five games. For the year, Batten is hitting .246 (33-134) with six doubles, 12 RBI and 18 runs scored – good for second on the team. Batten also leads the team with eight stolen bases. Batten is also on a team-best five-game hitting streak.
Junior Vincent Guglietti (East Haven, Conn) in his last five games is 7-20 with two homers, three RS, and five RBI. Guglietti is leading the team in batting average (.341), doubles (8), homers (4), runs scored (24), RBI (27), and slugging (520).
Following Quinnipiac's series at Radford, the Bobcats will play at the University of Massachusetts on Wedneday, Apr. 30. The Bobcats will then welcome Canisius to Hamden on May 3-4 for the Bobcats' final MAAC home series of the 2014 season. Senior Day festivities to honor Gary Binkiewicz, Mike Blumenthal, Nic Civale, Matt DeRosa and Nick Fabrizio are schedule for Sunday, May 4.
QU ATHLETIC SCHEDULES
Student-Athletes, parents and fans can download the 2013-14 QU Athletics schedules to your laptop and mobile devices for free by clicking in the iCalendar link at the bottom of each sport's homepage or the master schedule page. Fans can also follow Quinnipiac Athletics on Facebook and Twitter (@QUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates.